The McKerchers from Braemar initially settled in Breadalbane around Loch Tay and Roro in Glen Lyon.
Kenmore - Mains of Kenmore:
The first to appear in records, appear under the Muster Rolls of Sir Robert Campbell 9th Laird of Glenorchy and Balloch at Balloch, Kenmore, Perthshire in 1638.
Port of Loch Tay:
- Donald McKerrachar, 1 sword, target;
- Gilchrist McKerrachar, 1 sword, target;
Kenmore - Lawers:
The second appearance in records, appear in the Breadalbane Muniments - papers of Sir Robert Campbell 9th Laird of Glenorchy and Balloch at Balloch, Kenmore, Perthshire on 6 November 1639.
- Laird of Glenurquhay, Balloch, to Farquhar McAllaster VcKerracher of Dunglass, 6 Nov 1639
- Writer's nephew, Colin Campbell, son to the laird of Cadell, tells him that recipient has in keeping a bond by goodman of Balledrum for 300 merks payable to said Colin for Thomas Fraser in Duntarkett; asks that the bond be sent to writer by bearer, at said Colin's desire.
Dunglass or Drumglass is a small croft in Lawers on the north shore of Loch Tay. The patronymical meaning of Farquhar's name is thus: Farquhar son of Alexander grandson of Farquhar. It is possible that Alexander is the son of Farquhar - brother to Finlay Mor, or a relation in between.
Fortingall - Roro:
The third appearance in records, appear in the Breadalbane Muniments - miscellaneous papers of the Earl of Breadalbane in 1683.
- Bond of caution by Donald McPhadrig Glass VcGregor in Tomdavoir in Fernane, Duncan McConochie VcKerracher in Innerinanan in Rora, Patrick McIchruime in Lurgbuy in Lawers, and Donald McIllespeik VcVeir, brother to Patrick Buy McVeir in Tombreck, for Donald Glass McGrigor, prisoner in Finlarig, sentenced to be sent to foreign plantations never to return, by the Earl of Breadalbane, granters `being unwillingthat he [Donald Glass] should be putt toundergoe the said sentance being now an old aged man', 3 March 1683.
Innerinanan or Inverinian is part of Roro in Glen Lyon. The patronymical meaning of Duncan's name is thus: Duncan son of Duncan grandson of Farquhar. It is possible that Duncan's father Duncan is the son of Farquhar - brother to Finlay Mor, or a relation in between.